You don’t have to give up your phone number when you end your cell phone contract, or move from where your landline is located.
Google Voice can save you.
- Sign up for a free Google Voice account at www.google.com/voice.
- You will need to sign in with your Gmail / Google account.
- Select ‘I want to use my mobile number’
- Enter your mobile number
- If Google can’t use your mobile number as your Google Voice number, you can still get a Google Voicemail number that forwards your voicemail to your gmail. (An awesome feature.)
- If it CAN, then select ‘Port your Number.’
- Follow the instructions to cancel your current mobile contract (which MAY trigger fees from your carrier, depending on your plan)
- Pay your twenty bucks, and BOOM! You’ve got a permanent number at Google Voice, for good.
There are some serious advantages to porting your number with Google Voice.
- You own your number for good.
- Any calls to this number can be forwarded to any other phone number you specify.
- Any voicemails left at this number are transcribed and sent to your Gmail account (also known as Visual Voice Mail) for no extra cost.
FINAL CAVEAT: Check with your cell phone carrier before completing this process – you may trigger an early cancellation fee if you back out of your contract.