The Birth of our Son.

/, Introspection/The Birth of our Son.

Taos Gibson MacTavish Huntress.

Born on January 8, 2012 at 11:11 am.

7 lbs, 7 ounces, 20 inches long.

Taos @ 6 hours old.

Taos was born at home, in an unassisted waterbirth. Johanna began having contractions on my birthday, Saturday night, around 10 pm. After five hours, the contractions stopped completely, so we slept for a few hours. In the early morning, they began again, growing in intensity but decreasing in frequency. The pace of the contractions became wildly irregular, from 6-10 minutes apart, when Johanna got in the bathtub. This was traditionally the simple method, during all of her pregnancies, to slow contractions and take a break.

Then, her water broke, and three contractions later, the baby was born in the warm water.

I had the privilege of playing midwife, lifting my son out of the water and placing him onto his mothers breast, where he has remained for most of the time since that moment. He is a champion nurser.

He has big, dark eyes, pools of deep blue so dark that we think they will change to brown in a few months. He doesn’t cry very much, but regards the world curiously and calmly. When trying to get his digestive system in working order (a new experience for all babies) he clenches his fists and his face, letting out a long growl that sounds like he is wrestling a bear.

Johanna is well, in good spirits, with no complications. We have seen the doctor, filed for his birth certificate, and begun the process to file for dual citizenship.

Our Costa Rican adventure has reached its culmination: our son is here.

If you like this, or have something to say, I’d love to see your comments below.

By | 2016-12-26T14:54:53+00:00 January 10th, 2012|Family, Introspection|

About the Author:

Father of 3. WordPress website designer. Creative director @ Stellar Platforms. Writer, multimedia producer, digital marketer, and retired superhero.

No Comments

1. Rae Jones January 10, 2012 at 3:21 pm - Reply

Congratulations to you, your family and all of your new lives in Costa Rica! May you all be blessed abundantly like never before.

2. Colleen Torelli January 10, 2012 at 3:33 pm - Reply

So amazing! Welcome Taos. You are surrounded by the richest love and a bound community of fantastic people. Caelan and Johanna, you two are my heros!

3. Karen January 10, 2012 at 3:50 pm - Reply

Felicitaciones! You all must be so happy. Enjoy every minute.

4. Sara January 10, 2012 at 3:53 pm - Reply

Congratulations! So happy to hear he is happy, and you are all healthy and well…enjoy!

5. Auntie Alison January 10, 2012 at 4:16 pm - Reply

Wonderful narrative. Thank you. He is just beautiful. I look forward to hearing also about how Indy and Zaden relate to him – the picture of Zaden mind-melding with him through Johanna’s wonderful moon-belly was ecstatic. Love to all.

6. Angel Lambart January 12, 2012 at 9:47 pm - Reply

Congratulations, Caelan! Taos is quite beautiful, I’m so happy that things went well with his birth. Much love to all of you.

7. Suzanne Staples January 17, 2012 at 10:49 am - Reply

I loved reading your story. I am struck by Johanna’s courage to give birth with your assistance only and by your attentiveness and love for her and your new baby. Your description of his dark blue eyes and calm demeanor made me think of Jordan. He was a calm, observant baby with dark blue eyes that turned brown. Jordan was nicknamed Buddha by my friends when he was a baby because of his intense eyes and content demeanor. He also rarely cried and was very easy to take care of.

8. Candia Sanders January 17, 2012 at 6:17 pm - Reply

Caelan, to you Johanna and Taos, may your new world together be the experience which solidifies lifetimes of connections together. I know it will be awesome.
    The best and more!!